About Dr Kalman Piper
MBBS FRACS (Orth)
Clinical Lecturer Macquarie University Hospital
1800 746 853
Dr Kalman Piper is a highly experienced, Sydney based, orthopaedic surgeon who can offer a complete range of treatment options for all upper limb conditions. He has a subspecialty interest in shoulder surgery and has advanced training in arthroscopic surgery.
His area of expertise is in the following surgeries of the shoulder:
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
- Arthroscopic surgery for shoulder instability
- The arthroscopic latarjet procedure
- Minimally invasive shoulder replacement
- Reverse shoulder replacement for massive rotator cuff repair
- Arthroscopic treatment for nerve conditions of the shoulder
- Trauma surgery of the shoulder including complex fractures and tendon tears
Dr Piper was born in Brisbane, and graduated in Medicine & Surgery from the University of Queensland. He completed Orthopaedic training in Sydney, with the Australian Orthopaedic Association and was awarded Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (FRACS) in 2009.
Dr Piper was then accepted to undertake training in advance shoulder surgery in France with Dr Laurent Lafosse, a world leader in arthroscopic shoulder surgery. The experience he gained in France is unmatched anywhere in the world, and has allowed Dr Piper to offer new and innovative techniques in Australia.
Dr Piper frequently attends international orthopaedic meetings and advanced training courses in shoulder surgery:
- The International Congress on Shoulder and Elbow Surgery, Edinburgh, UK
- European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA), Oslo, Norway
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Nice Shoulder Course, Nice, France
- San Diego Shoulder Course, San Diego, USA
- Arthrex Shoulder Masters Course, Las Vegas, USA
- Annecy Live Surgery Conference, Annecy, France
Dr Piper is passionate about teaching and training surgeons, and passing on the knowledge he has obtained. He has been appointed an honorary position as a clinical lecturer at Macquarie University, and is extensively involved with the teaching and training of international orthopaedic surgeons enrolled in the Masters of Advanced Surgery at the University. He also trains Australian doctors on the Australian Orthopaedic Training Program.
Dr Piper is also frequently invited to lecture and teach shoulder surgery techniques to orthopaedic surgeons in Australia and internationally. He has been involved in the training of surgeons throughout Australia and South-East Asia, including live surgical demonstrations to upwards of 500 hundred surgeons. Cities he has visited to train surgeons include:
- China: Kunming, Chongqing, Xi’an, Shijizhuang, Beijing
- Thailand: Bangkok
- Australia: Sydney, Brisbane, Perth
- India: Bangalore, Thiruvanthpuram, Hyderabad, Pune
Dr Piper has been invited to lecture and perform live surgical demonstrations for orthopaedic surgeons at the following education events:
- Mitek Shoulder Institute, Annecy, France, 2009 and 2010
- Advanced Arthroscopic Shoulder Academy, Sydney, 2012, 2013 and 2015
- Royal North Shore Advanced Shoulder Symposium, Sydney, 2014 and 2014
- Pune Shoulder Course, Pune, India 2015
- Zimmer Biomet Upper Limb Symposium, Sydney, 2017
Dr Piper has orthopaedic surgeons regularly visit his operating theatres in Sydney to watch and learn new techniques, including surgeons from within Australia, Malaysia, New Zealand, Fiji, Singapore and Israel.
Dr Piper also organises and facilitates annual education events for general practitioners and physiotherapists throughout Sydney and New South Wales. The “Sydney Shoulder Series” is an annual symposium, now in its 7th year, which is attended by approximately 70 physiotherapists. “All About Orthopaedics” and “All About Shoulder and Elbow Surgery” are two events that he has facilitated at the Hospital for Specialist Surgery for the education of local general practitioners.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr Piper is a Commissioned Officer in the Royal Australian Navy, and is involved with the training of navy medics in emergency care of orthopaedic injuries and trauma aboard Australian warships and submarines.
Dr Piper is the head of the orthopaedic department at the Hospital for Specialist Surgery, and a member of the hospital’s Medical Advisory Committee which oversees the safe provision of medical services in the hospital.
Dr Piper is an active participant and advocate of the Australian Joint Replacement Registry. He was also a member of the Surgical Advisory Board, for Depuy Mitek in Boston, Massachusetts in 2013.
Dr Piper organises and facilitates a quarterly Shoulder and Elbow Surgery Meeting at Macquarie University Hospital, as a forum for Sydney metropolitan and regional Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons and Training Fellows, Orthopaedic Surgical Trainees and Musculoskeletal Radiologists, to gather and discuss difficult and challenging cases.
Dr Piper has contributed to many research articles in shoulder surgery, and co-authored a book chapter on minimally invasive shoulder replacement surgery, in a prominent orthopaedic textbook, “Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: The Shoulder. 3rd Ed”. Dr Piper’s research articles have been published in peer reviewed international orthopaedic research journals including the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and Injury.